Are you bored with your current job? Is your work not being appreciated? Do you feel like you are not utilizing your potential to the full extent? If yes, then you surely are thinking about changing your career. But is it that easy, just switching your career in the blink of an eye? Absolutely not. It is a long, tough journey with a blur destination in sight. Here are some things that need pondering before you reach out for another career:
- Be clear : You should have a clear idea about the kind of job you wish to pursue. This should be in accordance with your passion and other work needs. You might want to work in a social enterprise, but only you need to choose what fits you better- a NGO or a government run social organization. Look for a job that satisfies your needs in all respects.
- Financial prospects: You need to be sure of willing to comply with the salary and other such facilities that your next job might offer. If you are leaving your current job for the sake of money, keep in mind that money can’t buy you happiness. Also take into account that your future job provides you with enough that is needed for you and your family, and any future plans.
- Peer Pressure: If you are planning on leaving your job just because your colleagues are doing so, or because your family members want you to, then DON’T! Your colleagues may find success and peace in their new job, but you might not. Don’t change your job even if your family and friends are convinced that a new job would be better. Because if you don’t find your new job better, then ultimately it’s you who has to deal with it, and not your friends or family.
- Job profile or colleagues: Try to figure out the reason you wish to leave your job. Is it because you don’t find the job profile appealing anymore or is it because you don’t like your job or project head? If you choose to leave because of the first reason, then it’s fine. If it’s the latter, try talking to your colleagues and boss about it. Healthy conversations can surely make your relationship with them better.
- Skills : Make sure you have the right skills for the job you wish to pursue. It usually happens that you only have a small idea about the job description that your dream/desired job has. When you go deeper into it, you realize that the skill-set required for the job is not exactly the skill-set you posses. You need to work on yourself to develop these skills while you are still in doing your job. You can try doing a part-time job or online tutorials.
by Piyush Barskar